At Pixo, we imagine, design, and develop strategic apps and websites that guide, inform, and delight real people. We don’t solve problems at face value. We ask questions and explore ideas. As a group, we’re experienced consultants who love what we do and don’t compete — no shady back-stabbing or bureaucracy.
As a content strategist and member of the User Experience & Design group, you’ll have opportunities to work on both high-profile, iterative products and shorter-term consulting projects.
You’ll collaborate with clients and Pixo colleagues on multidisciplinary (UX, development, graphic design, project management) teams.
During a typical day, you might …
- Talk to a university student on Zoom about their experiences, using a list of focused questions (and riffing as needed!) to begin learning audience needs for the university’s new site
- Spend time in Miro building a journey map of a new app onboarding process
- Join Pixo colleagues to define project priorities and break down next steps into tasks and time estimates
- Propose a new feature to a non-tech-savvy client by talking through your wireframe in a way they can understand
- Jump into a Pixo “roundtable” discussion about a topic you feel passionate about, like a dream project you want to share with the Biz Dev team, or an idea to make Pixo holidays more inclusive
- Apply what you learned in the discovery work to create a voice and tone guide for content creators
You must be able to:
- Lead interactive, informational workshops and activities with a variety of groups
- Imagine and communicate solutions that speak to people’s needs
- Advise and collaborate on both app and website projects
- Develop guides for content creation that inform organization and voice and tone
- Communicate your work persuasively, helping a variety of audiences understand your decisions
- Craft copy that guides users within a product and helps them interact with it, such as button text, sample headings, instructions, and error messages
- Manage your workload, tracking your tasks across multiple projects (and recognizing when you need help)
- Sharing “the kind truth” with your colleagues and clients, and accept feedback with grace, using it to improve your skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Professional consulting experience
- Knowledge of Scrum/Agile frameworks and experience working in sprints
- Experience working directly with developers to design author interfaces
We encourage remote candidates to apply.
The entire Pixo team is remote and working from home until COVID-19 mitigations allow us to return to the office. Candidates who are hired will have the option of relocating to Champaign-Urbana at a later time; relocation assistance will be provided.
Ready to apply?
Note: This is not a job for juniors. You must have professional content strategy experience to catch our eye. This probably means two years or more of experience. If you don’t have that under your belt, and we should consider you anyway, let us know why!
We encourage diverse applicants. We work with different types of people and subject matter every day, and we need a variety of perspectives and points of view to do great work.
- A cover letter that lets us know why you’re a great fit for the job and why you’re interested
- A resume (or other representation of your content strategy experience)
- Examples of your work (wireframe, journey maps, a Miro board, slides — you choose the format!) and your thought process, decisions you made, and the impact your work had
Other things we want you to know
Our clients come from a wide range of industries — including agriculture, higher education, and health care — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations.
Pixo was founded in 1998 and has been a force in the local tech and design communities and an advocate for human-centered workplaces ever since. We are proud to be a woman-owned company.
Employees receive a competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, 401(k) matching, company-sponsored Medical, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget and more.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice-to-haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.