- Department: Engineering
- Location: On-site in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Are you a developer who loves to help organizations connect with audiences via the web? Are you building immersive, engaging sites that are inclusive and accessible? Are you a pro at collaborating with your teammates, and are you adaptable and creative? If so, you would be a great fit for Pixo’s web team.
We’re looking for a skilled developer who is passionate about web publishing and has experience programming in PHP. You should know how to build websites using modern methods and custom code. The ideal candidate is self-driven (but knows when to pull in teammates to solve tough problems), has experience building lasting relationships with customers, and is comfortable building solutions from the ground up as well as occasionally untangling legacy software.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is capable of working on the full stack of CMS solutions: data storage/retrieval, authoring interface, and front-end.
- Knows that the foundation of a wonderful website is great code that is maintainable, clean, and well-designed.
- Understands and desires to implement the best practices for accessibility (WAI-ARIA, WCAG, etc.) or will quickly learn to meet Pixo’s standards.
- Pays attention to the admin UI and considers the needs of content authors.
- Understands and has the ability to meet page load performance benchmarks.
- Comfortable with or willing to learn pair programming.
- Familiar with or willing to learn the Test Driven Development approach.
- Loves learning and seeks challenges; quick to learn from and mentor colleagues.
- Has experience or a desire to work in a consulting environment with clients and project stakeholders in a collaborative manner.
- Has experience with or willing to use Symfony as the tool of choice when building custom PHP websites.
- 2+ years of experience with object-oriented PHP programming skills.
- Experience creating mobile-first responsive web designs and incorporating latest techniques.
- Proficient with distributed revision control systems, ideally Git.
- Proficient with a testing frameworks, ideally PHPUnit.
- Experience consuming distributed content through the use of web APIs and other third-party information sources.
- Cares deeply about growing as a professional.
- Team-player who believes that we achieve more together.
Like all of the Pixo team, this job is remote, work-from-home until COVID-19 mitigations allow us to return from to the office. At that time, this position will be located in our Urbana offices with some flexibility to work from home.
At Pixo you will be part of a close-knit, collaborative, and diverse group of professionals. We do great work and we care how it gets done: We make time for sharing our knowledge, giving each other feedback, growing as professionals, and collaborating closely with our clients. While we’d be hard-pressed to describe a “typical” project, we most often create web applications, mobile applications, and websites.
Our clients come from a wide range of industries — including agriculture, higher education, and health care — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations. They seek us out because of our reputation for solving tough problems and providing highly customized solutions.
At Pixo, we take our company values seriously. Here’s a taste:
- We value people over process and consider our workplace as an example of how tech companies should treat each other.
- We commit to being approachable and available to each other at all levels.We demand quality of ourselves and each other.
- When we see something that needs addressing, we speak up, ask questions, or recommend a change.
- We intentionally make time to recharge and disconnect and don’t expect each other to be “on” all the time.
Other things you might care about:
Competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, Medical, 401k matching, company sponsored Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget, and more. If interested, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a letter explaining your interest.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer, and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice to haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Pixo is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.