- Department: Engineering
- Location: Urbana, Illinois
Are you a developer who loves to help organizations connect with audiences via the web? Are you building immersive, engaging sites that are inclusive and accessible? Do you excel at squashing bugs and delivering excellent support to customers after launch? If so, you would be a great addition to our web team.
We’re looking for a skilled developer who is passionate about web publishing and has experience programming in PHP. They should know how to leverage CMS, preferably WordPress, to build a solid content management system using modern methods and custom code. The ideal candidate takes initiative but knows when to pull in teammates to solve tough problems. Experience working with customers and supporting legacy software is a must.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is capable of working on the full stack of CMS solutions: data storage/retrieval, authoring interface, and front-end.
- Knows that the foundation of a wonderful website is great code that is maintainable, clean, and well-designed.
- Understands and desires to implement the best practices for accessibility (WAI-ARIA, WCAG, etc.) or will quickly learn to meet Pixo’s standards.
- Pays attention to admin UI and considers needs of content authors.
- Understands and has ability to meet page load performance budgets.
- Comfortable with or willing to learn pair programming.
- Familiar with or willing to learn the Test Driven Development approach.
- Embraces learning, and growth; quick to learn from and mentor colleagues.
- Has experience or a desire to work in a consulting environment with clients and project stakeholders in a collaborative manner.
- Development experience in at least WordPress, including building custom plugins, and strong object-oriented PHP programming skills.
- Experience creating responsive web designs and incorporating latest techniques.
- Proficient with distributed revision control systems, ideally Git.
- Willingness to support clients (via email, phone, screen-sharing), triage, and solve bug reports.
- Experience consuming distributed content through the use of web APIs and other third-party information sources.
- Drive to grow as a professional.
At Pixo you will be part of a close-knit, collaborative, and diverse group of professionals who work hard to amplify our collective capacity through knowledge sharing, feedback, and a focus on providing the highest level of technology and design services.
Our clients come from a wide range of industries — including agriculture, higher education, and healthcare — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations. They seek us out because of our reputation for solving tough problems and providing customized solutions. While we’d be hard-pressed to describe a typical project, we most often create web applications, mobile applications, and websites.
At Pixo, we take our company values seriously. Here’s a taste:
- We value people over process and consider our workplace as an example of how tech companies should treat each other.
- We value diversity and inclusivity which are essential to achieving our highest potential.
- We commit to being approachable and available to each other at all levels.
- We demand quality of ourselves and each other.
- When we see something that needs addressing, we speak up, ask questions, or recommend a change.
- We intentionally make time to recharge and disconnect and don’t expect each other to be “on” all the time.
Other things you might care about:
Competitive salary, three weeks of PTO to start, Medical, 401k matching, company sponsored Short Term and Long Term Disability insurance, optional dental, vision, and life insurance, 2 weeks company closure per year, an annually set professional development budget and more.
If interested, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a brief explanation of your interest.
Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer, and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice to haves.” Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.